I was a Vonage customer in 2009. Finding no need for a home phone anymore, I cancelled my service (or so I thought).

Having heard nothing from Vonage or anyone representing them for the last three years, I assumed the matter was finished. Now, three years later, I received a letter from a collection agency claiming that I owe Vonage money for unpaid services. I contacted the collection agency who then told me to contact Vonage. In speaking with Vonage, they informed me that they had in fact never cancelled my service.

I asked several times why I was never informed of their claims, or even that my account was still active. They claimed that they called me (on the Vonage phone that I thought was disconnect and was no longer using), and emailed me (to an old email that I had not updated because, again, I thought my Vonage account was disconnected). I further questioned why, seeing as they had my address, they never sent me something in the mail with their claims. Their only response was that they, "...don't do that..." A simple internet search showed that apparently Vonage is known for this.

Customers call to cancel their accounts, only to find out days, weeks, months, or in my case years later, that Vonage in fact did not honor their request and either continued charging their card or claiming that more money was owed.

I have already filed a report with the Better Business Bureau and the FCC. Vonage's business practices are the most bizarre I've ever seen and if it wasn't so aggravating it would actually be laughable.

Review about: Vonage Phone Service.

Comments

Maria, I'm really sorry to hear that. I was able to resolve it, ironically, through Twitter. For some reason Vonage puts the least capable people on their phone lines and I was able to get a direct number for a more capable person from Vonage through Twitter, after bombarding them with dozens of tweets. I should mention that this was also after I had already filed reports with the FCC and Better Business Bureau.

I would suggest first filing reports with the FCC (fcc.gov) and Better Business Bureau (bbb.org). Them contact Vonage (through twitter seems to find the more capable employees, God knows why), and inform them that you have already filed reports with the FCC and BBB.

I hope you're able to get it resolved, but know that you're not the only one. They have done the same exact thing to hundreds, if not thousands of people.

The same happened to me.. exactly the same.

I cancelled my service in 2009 and now, 3 years later, I'm being accused of owing them $60 by a collection agency. How did you resolve the issue?

correction: thy used my CC W/OUT authorization.

VONAGE WONT BE AROUND LONG, we all ahud do a class action suit. I had service w/ them 2011.

I canceled service and it was verified tht service was canceled 9/2011 bcuz we moved to Ga. In Nov. 2011 thy unauthorized using my cc for a payment of 58.00 for unpaid bills from Sept 2011 to Nov. 2011 thy agreed tht service was canceled and refunded me the 58.00.

Up til now I thot it was,a done deal. but it wasnt.

Thy again charged my acct 36.00 for unpaid bills from Nov 2011 to present May 2012. I called thm again and said thy never canceled service and the balance is owed, thm using my credit card w/ authorization.

This is robbery and deceitful...