1.3
Coverage Area
Style and Design

Update by user Oct 11

The service I ordered is not even on their website.It's a "secret" offer they give you if not interested in other offers.

$4.99 a month plus tax and fees, 5 cents a minute to call the US, but only 1.7 cents to call India!

Because they must be based in India, all customer service agents speak with a thick barely understandable accent and barely speak English.Although the sales agents, miraculously speak much better English, but you can barely understand Customer Service Agents.

Original review posted by user Oct 10

STAY AWAY FROM VONAGE!First they never sent the phone equipment, charged me for it and somehow tacked on an extra $29.99.

The customer service is in India and they barely speak English and the connection is terrible. Finally after more than two hours of explaining the issue over and over and insisting on speaking to a supervisor, they returned the $29.99 and sent new equipment. So I finally received the box, hooked it up, but it didn't work. It said it wasn't hooked up to the Internet.

I called my Internet provider, Spectrum Time Warner and was on the phone with a top tech person for two hours trying to make it work, plugging and unplugging everything, turning everything on and off, doing a hard reset on my modem, trying different ports, trying hooking it directly to my Airport Express, turning my computer on and over and over again. Nothing worked and finally they said I had to call Vonage. So, I called Vonage, was on a 20 minute hold, then after explaining the issue to another person who barely spoke English, he had me repeat the entire sequence I just did with Spectrum although I told him repeatedly I had just done that. He kept saying do you see the blue wire?

I said "Do you mean the Ethernet cable?" He kept treating me like a tech moron when I was making it very clear I wasn't. Finally he said I had to call Spectrum and disable my firewall. I said I don't want to disable my firewall and leave my computer open to hacking. I had to ask several times to speak to a supervisor and he said something I couldn't understand ending in "ahurza." I asked what is ahurza?

I finally figured out that he was saying an "hour or so." I then demanded to speak to a supervisor immediately or I would call the Better Business Bureau, already Googling their page. I was put on endless hold. Finally the supposed supervisor came on, I explained the problem and was put on endless hold again. She asked the exact same questions as the previous person, I explained everything all over again, more hold.

More repeated questions. More plugging and unplugging, changing ports, etc... She asked info about my modem brand, then suddenly my whole Internet weirdly went out. I unplugged the modem, replugged it in (after doing this about 10 times earlier) got my Internet back up, then she had me do two hard resets on the Vonage box and FINALLY after 5 minutes of the second reset, it worked.

I just hope it stays on. The whole process of two phone calls to Vonage plus trouble-shooting with Spectrum: 6 hours! Oh, and when they ported over my phone number a few days earlier, they cancelled out my entire Spectrum account, cancelling my TV service and Internet! I had to call Spectrum to reopen my account to get my services back on!

I only got this as a cheap back up for my cell phone in case of emergency or if I lose it but who knows if it will actually continue to work. And good luck with customer service. As I said they barely speak English, their accents are impossible to understand and the connection is terrible. I had to literally scream into my phone because the guy said he couldn't hear me.

Ugh, I should have just spent the extra money and stayed with my Spectrum bundle but it was just a back up phone I rarely used so I thought I'd save money.Big mistake, not worth the hassle, unreliable service and worst customer service ever!

Review about: Vonage Phone Service.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Bad service, Not english speaking, Long hold time, Horrible customer service.

Had an Experience with Vonage?

Comments

We apologize for the issues you've had with Vonage service. We would like to discuss this with you. Please send us an email at ert-vip@vonage.com.